The Fourmentin-Guilbert Scientific Foundation is inviting applicants to submit proposals to the I2CELL Seed Award. It is intended to support a 3 years experimental project in biology to encourage experimental approaches that explore the algorithmic processing of information in biological systems. The experimental dimension of a research proposal is of major importance as well as the biological question which is addressed.
This seed award follows the I2CELL seminar organized by the Fourmentin-Guilbert Scientific Foundation. It is strongly recommended to read the article Will biologists become computer scientists? before applying.
The I2CELL Seed Award has been designed to focus on and enlighten the role of information in living systems.
Applicants, of any nationality, must be established researchers / Principal Investigators (i.e. in capacity of running a project several years ahead of receiving the I2CELL grant) in any public or private non-profit research institute (host institution).
The host institution must be located in one of the countries listed below (read “Special Conditions” below).
The selection process is a 2 stages process. During the first stage:
- Candidates submit their Letter of Intent and their Letter of Confirmation
- The Jury select several candidates based on their Letter of Intent
During the second stage, a further selection is performed:
- Selected Candidates from stage 1 submit their Full Proposal and Letter of Recommendation
- The Jury deliberates and designates the laureate.
Besides the Letter of Intent, a Letter of Confirmation from the host institution must be joined in pdf format. The Letter of Confirmation confirms that the host institution is informed of the application and that, if the Letter of Intent is selected, the host institution will write a Letter of Recommendation.
The review of the Letter of Intent by the Jury may lead to a request for a Full Proposal. A template of Full Proposal will be sent the applicants whose Letter of Intent has been selected. The Full Proposal must be accompanied by a Letter of Recommendation confirming the ability of the candidate to lead the proposed research program as well as the encouraging support of the candidate by the Host Institution to lead such a new and risky research program.
After evaluating all the Full Proposals and, if necessary, interviewing the candidates by videoconference, the Jury will designate the Laureate of the I2CELL Seed Award.
Deadline for the submission of the Letter of Intent and the Letter of Confirmation: April, 19th, 2019
Applicants will be notified of a request for a Full Proposal by: May, 13th, 2019
Deadline for the submission of the Full Proposal and the Letter of Recommendation: June, 30th, 2019
Award notification: July, 31st, 2019
A jury composed of scientists active in biology, physics and computer science is in charge of evaluating and selecting the Letters of Intent, analysing the Full Proposals, conducting interviews if necessary, and designating the Laureate of the I2CELL Seed Award.
How to apply?
- Applicants must first download the template of Letter of Intent. This PDF editable template must be used.
- Once filled as requested, the Letter of Intent can be submitted along with the Letter of Confirmation from: Submit your proposal
The I2CELL Seed Award provides funding for up to three years. The funding level is fixed and equal to 250,000€.
The calendar can be subject to change depending on the number and quality of applications received. Applicants will be kept informed.
The Host Institutions must be located in one of these countries:
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.
- America: Canada, United States of America, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Uruguay, Paraguay, Guyana, Ecuador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Nicaragua, Mexico.
- Oceania: Australia, New Zealand.
- Africa: South Africa, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt.
- Asia: China, Mongolia, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, India, Russia, Israel, Jordan.
English version: Rules-I2CELL-award-v8.0_en
French version: Reglement-I2CELL-award-v8.0_fr